Responsible for coordinating entire service station and communicating with front and back-of-the-house personnel to provide a dining experience that meets or exceeds guest expectations. Processes guest orders to ensure that all items are prepared properly and on a timely basis. May present, open, and pour wine when serving guests. Observes diners to ensure that guests are satisfied with the food and service, responds to additional requests, and determines when the meal has been completed. Totals bill and accepts payment, makes change or prepares credit card voucher. May refer payment to cashier. May assist bus person with stocking, removing and resetting dishes and silverware between courses, and cleaning and resetting vacated tables.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greets guests and presents them with the menu. Informs guests of specials and menu changes, makes suggestions, and answers questions regarding food, beverages, allergies and service.
- Takes food and beverage orders from guests (either written or memorized), and relays order to kitchen staff and bartender as appropriate.
- Processes guests’ orders to ensure all items are prepared properly and on a timely basis.
- Communicates with host/hostess, bus persons, runners, kitchen staff and bartenders, and coordinates entire station to ensure guest satisfaction with the food and service.
- May serve courses from kitchen and service areas or garnish items with proper presentation prior to serving.
- May present, open and pour wine when serving guests.
- Observes diners to ensure that guests are satisfied with the food and service, responds to any additional requests, and determines when the meal has been completed.
- Totals bill and accepts payment, makes change or prepares credit card voucher. May refer payment to cashier.
- May assist bus person with stocking work stations, removing, and resetting soiled dishes and silverware from table at conclusion of each course, and cleaning and resetting vacated tables.
- Accurately responds to special food requests and dining needs.
- Adheres to all standard steps of service as recommended by department.
- Adheres to all company and department procedures, policies, expectations and quality standards.
Skills & Requirements
- Knowledge of the sequence of service and dining room procedures, generally involving a minimum of one year as a NYC server.
- Must be customer sensitive and possess a sense of timing so that different courses may be served at the proper time.
- Must be able to communicate and understand the primary language(s) of the work location, and understand the primary language(s) of the guests who typically visit the work location.
- Ability to perform simple mathematical calculations.
- High school graduate or equivalent desired.
- Must be able to exert fast-paced mobility for periods of up to four hours in length.
- Must have the ability to lift pans and trays frequently weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Craft beer knowledge and experience with Aloha a plus.